Monday, April 20, 2015

Building Stamina



If I was asked to pick the hardest part of teaching learners with disabilities, I know exactly what I'd say. It's this thing that trumps all skills. It's this thing that can take a kid that is SO close to success and blow them out of the water.

It's called stamina.




When I first started teaching I really didn't understand the importance of it. I mean, sure, stamina's important but in my mind it was like "Yeah, stamina is important, but so is decoding, so is comprehension, so is fluency..." on and on. I took it and filed it away with everything else. Teaching reading has always felt like that game Topple. Remember that? That game where every part you built affected another part and the whole thing needed each part to work a certain way in order to stay afloat?
Feels like reading to me!


But now I'm oh so wise ;) and have seen the error of my ways!

In the great state of Texas, 5th graders have the opportunity to retake their state exam (we call it the STAAR test). I need to gear up my students who didn't pass and  help them get ready for the second go. You can bet I will make building stamina  a big part of that retake prep!

First, we will start with a chart. Click the captions to view the source. 

This one is simple and perfect for my friends who need simple and clear definitions.
Find it HERE
This is a chart I've done in the past with whole group. I explain the rules and then start a stopwatch. My students read for  as long as they can while I monitor. As soon as one student falls off the task I stop the stopwatch and  track how far we made it. Works great for my friends who need some competition to encourage them, even if it's just against themselves. 
Find the original source HERE
I definitely plan on creating this chart with my students at the teach table!
Find the original source HERE
Definitely love this freebie with reward card!
Find this freebie HERE
And lastly, we will work on knowing when to take a break. It is important for them to understand it's okay to step away from their exam and know when it's a good time to do it!

Happy testing season, ya'll!






2 comments:

  1. Nice! Very well written....
    If you suffering from any problem related to BT and to get instant solutions to all your queries. Please visit my site BT password recover

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roll around on the floor! LOL! That sounds like my classroom! I would probably also add suddenly ripping up your entire workbook or hiding under the teacher's desk!

    ReplyDelete