Monday, November 12, 2012

Football Subtraction Task Cards

Are you ready for some football?!!

As an elementary math teacher, I believe that operations should be taught all year. That's right. I said it. Operations should be taught all year. There is no way to practice it too much. I know that most of us use some sort of curriculum sequence that lumps operations into the first six weeks or so and never touches it again, but we know better. We know how much practice it's going to take and we know how important basic operations will be for our students as they grow. If you find this blog post in January, use it. If you find it in May, use it. Operations should be taught all year.

One of the common mistakes I see on benchmark tests is that a student puts the smaller number on top in a subtraction problem. When I see it happen, there's this little moment of like "Whoop Whoop!" because I'm proud they picked the correct operation to use (a difficult task in a special ed class!). But there's also this big "Oh no!" when I see they set it up with the smaller number on top.

Therefore, I have made some fabulous subtraction task cards. The football theme will make your boys happy.

Unlike other subtraction task cards you've seen, these cards have two numbers printed on them and offer no other clues. The student has to decide which is bigger before setting up the problem.

Grab 'em for only $2! No matter what unit you're in, download them now by clicking ME.

No comments:

Post a Comment