Sunday, January 13, 2013

Elements of Fiction- Freebie!

Sometimes I'll make you the best resource, other times I'll find it for you. This awesome FREE Resource comes from an education blogger on Squidoo. I'll link you at the end of this post.

This week I'll be covering the elements of fiction. We studied this in the first six weeks but ended up having some difficulty. I'd like to start my week thinking about the test I will give on Friday. It will be two pages long. I was absent most of last week but hopefully when I return tomorrow I will see that they finished our story with the sub. It's one of those awesome chapters from the Wayside series by Louis Sachar. Our textbooks show us this one chapter from the book called "A Package for Ms. Jewls." For their test I will use an accompanying page from the workbook and a self made page to cover elements.

In order to teach this, I'm using the cooking pot resources found here.

A brief overview of my week will look like this:

Monday- Present anchor chart, go over all elements of fiction. Focus on character and setting.
Tuesday- Plot and conflict.
Wednesday- Theme.
Thursday- Point of view.
Friday- Review all elements and test.

I know you're probably looking at this and thinking "Yowza! That's a lot to fit into a week!" However, we've learned these before and I am anticipating building on this for the next few weeks. Couple that with using every minute to teach and some new strategies and I think things will go well.

Here's a brief overview using the cooking pot.
member~jimmie.gallery.f636e691b2aca44009145dbb20a537ef.jpg

I plan on printing out the flashcards, but using the page with blank definitions so I can add my own Sp. Ed. friendly ones.
elements of fiction cards

Great resources. Click HERE to download.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment