Thursday, February 14, 2013

Teaching Pet Peeve

Teaching pet peeves, we've all got em!

One of my worst teaching pet peeves is when I explicit instruction on common errors or the "wrong way" to do something.


 I was mosing around on pinterest when I came across this chart:
 Pinned Image

I love this chart! EXCEPT for one thing. The big common error explination with a model. What we have to realize is that when we teach the wrong thing to do, we are still teaching it! Now, do I think we should never mention common errors? No. There may be a time and a place with a specific group of learners where we need to say it and say it in a direct way. But I don't think it's wise to repeatedly teach it or prominately display it for all to see everyday. It is entirely more meaningful to repeatedly teach the correct process. The goal would be to eventually cue learners through common errors rather than simply identify them.

For example, when I have a type of math problem where learners typically leave off the last step, I will work the entire problem up until that point. At which point I will say " Am I done?" The learners say "No!" I always respond "Why not?" Do you see how that might be more meaningful than repeatedly showing me the wrong way? What do you think?

And if you have a little extra time... Click the pic to compare student guesses with teacher responses.

Top 10 GUESSED Pet Peeves for Teachers:
1.    Chewing gum obnoxiously.
2.    Talking after they give you the shut-up look.
3.    Crazy excuses for not turning in homework.
4.    Giving the instructions, then having someone ask “What do we do?”
5.    Distracting noises.
6.    All of someone’s stuff on their desk.
7.    Someone slamming their locker when it’s not locker time.
8.    Running in hallways.
9.    Daydreaming in class.
10.  No one laughing at their jokes.

Click the pic for the full article

No comments:

Post a Comment